So winter won’t leave Westchester. Family photos get pushed aside for a little bit. Besides the family vacation, your camera is probably in a drawer somewhere until a first tooth falls out or a birthday party rolls around. It’s cold and we’re stuck inside with snowy, dreary days at home. Yuck.
Well, in my house – it’s when I start using my camera more. I know, strange, right? I pull it out when we are in our pajamas, playing board games. It’s not the pretty, sunny pictures of the summer, for sure. It’s our real life in New York, though!
I love these little images so much I make a small album every season to get them off my phone and on my coffee table. Everyone that comes over loves looking at them and it gave me an idea for a challenge for all the moms out there. 30 days. A picture a day. Life as you see it.
So I’m offering a challenge. Here are the rules!
– Make sure to take one picture a day for the whole month.
– Keep your camera near you at all times. On the kitchen counter or in your purse.
– IPhone pictures are allowed, but try to use your ‘real’ camera too.
– Try to not do a posed image or a “CHEESE!” photo.
– Take the in-the-moment photo. Your everyday. Those little moments that make you melt a little inside.
– No cleaning up your house for the images. I don’t want this to be work! Look at my example below, you’ll see food on the countertops, etc. That’s life, right?
Some photography tips:
-Get down to different angles then normal. Try some creative shots – in a mirror, through a doorway or window to make them even more interesting.
-Get kids being silly. That’s who they are. Perfection is NOT allowed.
-Also look for those quiet moments, i.e., looking out the window, daydreaming with warm sunlight around them, reading a book in bed, etc.
-If an image is a little dark, Instagram is great as the filters tend to lighten the center of the images for you. It’s your own personal Photoshop.
– For the older kids, have them join along. Make it a family project!
– Plan to make an album at the end. I guarantee it will be one of the favorite albums you have. Arifact Uprising sells my favorites for my mini albums!
– Selfies with kids are totally allowed. Moms are not in the picture enough and we need to be! There is a great new app called CamMe. You prop up your camera and hold up your hand and it takes a photo without you holding it.
So, are you in? 30 days, a picture a day. Of your REAL life. Yes, they might not be professional photographer sort of images. It doesn’t matter. They are yours and that makes them perfect. I promise you will love them all and appreciate those snowed in family days even more.
If you are instagram, use #cocophoto30 as a hashtag and we can do it together! Follow me here @cristinacocophoto or hit the instagram tab on the left side of the blog. If you want to comment below with your Instagram name I’ll make sure to follow you!
I only showed Instagram picture here as a reminder: you do NOT have to be a photographer. No fancy camera took these shots. Just think a little bit outside the box and get in some photos, will ya?
This is the picture that gave me the idea. Moms need to be in more photographs. Taken on vacation last week, a second after a selfie where we were both looking at the camera. I hit it again by accident and it caught us looking at each other. I love it so much. If you get one shot that makes you as happy as this image makes me it will be so worth it!
I cannot wait to see what you do!